Over the last decade, Limagrain has climbed into the top seed companies worldwide for this oil crop, with several leading varieties of linoleic sunflower, as well as oleic sunflower.
Breeder since 1983
Beginning of breeding
As the crop grew in popularity among farmers, Limagrain decided to breed to breeding new varieties of sunflower.
A product line-up to meet various challenges
Limagrain Europe, under its LG brand, offers a complete line-up of varieties adapted to all markets and grower needs.
- Linoleic or oleic sunflower
- Early or late sunflower to adapt the seeds to the agro-climatic context
- Conventional or herbicide-tolerant sunflower
Broomrape: varieties adapted to each race
Broomrape is a parasite plant that develops on sunflower roots and affects millions of hectares in Europe. To date, 7 broomrape races (from A to G) have been officially recognized, and others could potentially develop. Research is developing varieties that are resistant to different forms of broomrape and is watching for the emergence of new races:
- Conventional hybrids resistant to the most common races (A-E, F, G)
- Multi-resistant OR-X for tolerance to the aggressive G race (>G)